Sunday 19 May 2013

Critical Reflection


Critical Reflection

Task 4a, Developing Lines of Professional Enquiry


I found this task very fulfilling, as it allowed me to start exploring my practice from a different approach. To complete this task I addressed it from a teachers point of view, as I had just started a new Job at the City Academy, Hackney. The questions I started to explore where looking at areas that I am passionate about but not from a Performers point of view, which was new to me. I was able to take what I had learnt into my teaching, how can I pass on these skills that could develop the students future and also how do I change the relaxed approach that surounds the subject. 

Task 4b, Special Interest Group


I discovered from this task that the majority of people’s experience of Drama in High School was a none structured approach. It was seen as the easy option as many thought it would be an easy GCSE to gain. We discussed how Drama could help even those who had no interest in the subject gain skills that they can apply to their line of work. I found this a very useful tool of discovering information and having the chance to discuss ideas that arise. When you are so passionate about a subject you can sometimes forget that someone else might see it from a different prospective. This group was a chance for anyone, from all areas of life, to have their say. I used the results as a starting point for my proposal of inquiry. 

Task 4c, Developing Questions

After looking at the comments that arose in my SIG group I then had an intensive discussion with my line - manger at work about some of the ideas that had started to be touched upon. This discussion lead onto questioning the recent on goings with the Government budget, and how the arts was drastically taking a back seat. This is an area I decided to look into further while assembling my proposal. I also had a discussion with a Teacher Assistant who I work with and their ideas of how Drama can provide skills that the students could apply. These discussions narrowed down my ideas and helped me draw focus to one point in particular that kept arising, what Drama can offer. 

Task 4d, Award Title

I have struggled with this task, as at first I was being too specific, thinking too much about how I could relate my direct line of practice into the title, ‘the development of Drama as a subject’. The task for me was being able to find the balance between not being too specific and not choosing something that had no relation. In the end I decided to go for ‘Professional Practice in Performance’. This directly relates to my line of work but doesn’t restrict me, as I don’t know what the future holds and don’t want to limit my options by he name of my degree. 

Task 5a, Regulations and Codes of Practice


Writing my chosen ethics down reminded me of what each one means to me personally in my line of work.  I realised that what makes me a successful teacher is that my personal and professional ethics compliment each other.  I have strong morals and principles, which are what make my professional decisions so grounded and respected by others.

Task 5b, Codes of Practise


It was this task that helped me realise that if I were to write a list of regulations to be published professionally for my classes, I would need to concentrate on my wording and grammar. I know what I want to say, but putting it into words can sometimes be challenging. However I found that my ideas of Ethics in a work placed were very closely matched to those of the schools. Unfortunately I was not able to get permission to post the actual documents on my Blog, due to the fact that the work had the schools logo on they preferred that I kept the documents to myself. 
For me to have developed further in this task I should have wrote a reflection on my findings and made notes on the similarities and contrasts of the two documents but due to time I was not able to do this. 

Task 6a, Pilot Survey


The results I received from my pilot survey helped me gain a better understanding to the insights of others on my chosen topic, rather than judging them on my own experiences.  After viewing the responses I felt I had progressed personally, I was really listening to what these people had to say, and I was able to put my own thoughts aside. I discovered it was important for me to not just ask pioneers of Drama but to try and spread my research net. 

Task 6b, Critical Reflections


From the very beginning of this course we have been encouraged to comment and question on other peoples blogs. I believe this particular module encouraged everyone to pursue this method of feedback and peer assessment. Just as I needed others to complete my Survey and assist me with my Focus Group, I need to reciprocate with others.  I felt I had more opportunity and reason to do this during the completion of this module, in the shape of completing surveys and commenting on peoples SIG Groups.

Task 6c, Reviews of Literature



Reviewing these articles allowed me to open different doors to how I could shape my inquiry. I used the issues addressed in these articles as a stimulus to kick start my thought process to how I can use the questions approached in these findings in my inquiry. 
Again I personally feel that I need to blog a lot more about the process that I am going through to get my end result. I become so focussed and lost in the creation of the proposal that I don’t blog about how i got there or how these ideas that I am presenting developed themselves. 

Task 6d, Delicious Page


I believe organisation is one of the most important tools in my profession.  I use a diary to keep track of my schedule, a filing system for all my work, but I had never felt the need to use a tool to organise my web pages until I embarked on this course. This course focuses a lot on discovery and one of my main tools for discovery is the internet. Although I have all my important web pages saved to “Favourites”, it takes time to find any specifics. At one stage during the writing of my proposal I had 30 different web pages open, as you can imagine this all became a bit to much to handle and I was getting frustrated when trying to find the right page that I wanted. By creating my “Delicious” page, I have now discovered a new tool for my organisational skills, it allows me to save a web address with in the space of seconds but also to put a little note to myself saying what the main theme is for that particular address. 

On reflection of this module it has become clear to me that I need to use the tool of my blog more to my advantage. It is away for me to get my ideas and thoughts out there and have peers reflect and question them in a realistic timescale. 
Other people’s opinions and views are vital in this type of work and it enhances our own knowledge and allows us to keep growing as a person and the ideas to keep developing. 
Target - To use the tool of my blog to its full advantage. Blog, blog, blog!

1 comment: